November 11, 2008

In Style: Gesso Edition


This month, Michelle Ward's Crusade is about the properties of gesso. I don't know about you, but I love the stuff. When I first started arting, I used to resist using it, but now I will use it to resist. I've used it to prepare surfaces, which is its stated use, but then I started playing around with its texture a bit. I found that when it's thick its bumpiness can give what's laid on top of it some extra umph.

Using Michelle's example, I wanted to play with it as a resist. I started with the white gesso stamped over a simple painted page.


I love this page! I'd never used gesso as a stamping medium, and this looks so awesome as it is--thick and bold and WHITE! But I wanted to try out the resist application, so I washed over the stamped images with some lime green mixed with tan.


I think it turned out really well, here. I'll use this as a background on a couple of my journal pages.


Then I had the idea of tinting the white gesso with some color, so I stamped out these images in blue- and purple- and rose-colored gesso. I used some stenciling as well. But then I thought... how could my clear gesso figure in the picture? Would it resist at all? Or, would it disappear? I used the dome stamp with clear gesso, and incorporated that on the page along with the colored gesso.


You can see a bit of the texture from the clear gesso, particularly in the lower left corner, although you obviously can't see the image itself. My goal was to wash thinly over the entire surface and hope the dome image would become apparent along with the other images.

This is the page after the wash is applied. Excuse the photos. The first one is with a flash; the second one is without a flash, which altered the true rose color.





In both of them, you can make out the texture and a hint of the dome stamped with clear gesso among the colored gesso images. The clear gesso obviously resists the acrylic wash, but it serves mostly as texture. I wasn't quite as satisfied with this page. But I'm going to try a nice heavy application of clear gesso on an all-over stamping next time. Without the colored images, I think the clear gesso will resist the wash, allowing its texture to come through all over the page.

I'll add that photo here once I've done the page. I love doing backgrounds, and in view of my upcoming journal work, they're going to be put to good use.


Next up: Chris applies too much clear gesso and can't find the finished page.

18 comments:

Unknown said...

Love it Chris...its all about experimenting and playing around.

TBM said...

Wow--it's so nice of you to post so many photos of your adventures with gesso. I love MW's crusades, but so far have only had time to read them.

Looks like you're on your way to a fabulous journal :-)

Anonymous said...

Nice! This looks like a great technique for cranking out some background papers...I'm going to give it a whirl this weekend.

Anonymous said...

I LOVE your pages and you are right, the stamped Gesso looks fabulous!
xo, Marci

e.beck.artist said...

i love gesso ... and used to do michelle's challenges all the time .... i should go for this one, huh?

Seth said...

Looks like you had a lot of fun playing around with the gesso. Hope you show us the journal pages when complete too.

lynne h said...

this is great... i never thought about stamping with gesso -- good grief, what a box i'm in! i *have* thought about tinting clear gesso but haven't pursued it much (she says as she shakes her head).

thank you!

michelle ward said...

wow chris! you got right on this one! great job - i can tell you are going to love this - didn't you love seeing that texture rise to the surface? thanks for jumping right in and leading the way for the team. *high five*

Anna Matthews said...

I love your backgrounds. This looks like so much fun, I can't wait to dig in and play myself!

Anonymous said...

hello Chris,

you've been busy already with the crusade ! It seems you had fun experimenting !
greetings
Inge from belgium

AztecMichelle said...

Great work! Like the step-by-step pics as well and the idea of tinting the gesso. Didn't know that "clear" was available!

Michelle Brown
Melbourne Australia

Anonymous said...

Great journal play Chris, I didn't notice the crusade was up so now I'm glad you pointed it out! I'll go play with gesso right now! Your pages looks great - I've never tried clear gesso!

Anonymous said...

Great pages Chris - and you were onto it so quickly! Can't wait to see the follow-up.

Mescrap said...

This is so wonderful ! Love all the background.

Kim Tedrow said...

I love how these turned out.

Clear gesso...I have got to try some of that.

-Kim

me2 said...

Looks like you had fun doing this! I love the techniques you used.

Kathryn Costa said...

Thanks for sharing your process. I haven't started playing yet -- I have a couple of days off but will post about it soon. I'm getting my appetite wet by visiting the other crusaders first.

I never heard of clear gesso. How cool!

Anonymous said...

Hi there... I'm late to the party, but wanted to say I enjoyed following along in your process with the gesso... didn't realize clear gesso existed, either, so I learned something while having fun! Thank you!