November 29, 2008

Gesso, That's My Baby, Gesso, I Don't Mean Maybe


At the beginning of November, for Michelle Ward's Street Team, I played around with gesso (white and clear). Yesterday I stamped and painted up some more surfaces and worked more with the previous ones. Then I cut them all up into gift tags. I like how they came out.


I hope you can see on the rose and purple-colored tags how the clear gesso raises up and gives a bit more texture under the wash and the other stamping. In general, I love the thickness and stamina of gesso to stand up against what's put on top of it. Even the city stamp (these are all from Michelle's rubber sheets), where I used grey-tinted gesso, holds up under a blue wash. I think the eerie, ghostly effect that gives is very cool.



I'm going to stamp a full journal spread this way with some of her bold images because it just makes me want to ExPreSS!

Now I'm off to catch up with what others have done with this challenge. There's some great work being done there.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

These surfaces are wonderful, I can't wait until all my shows/commitments are done so I can play with gesso!

rivergardenstudio said...

I love your colors and the texture of the clear gesso... I need to try this! Have a wonderful weekend... Roxanne

Anonymous said...

When you said you were makin tags...you were REALLY makin tags! I love how these came out...really great, Chris!

Seth said...

What a great idea. These look fantastic!

Margaret Ann said...

What beautiful tags... I love the effect of the gesso...really different and fresh! :)

iHanna said...

Love tags, these are beautiful. Makes me want to go and stamp gesso some more for sure!

Leah said...

Hey these look awesome, I love your colors!!

michelle ward said...

chris - these are terrific! so gesso-y and messy and texturey and colorful. you are in a groove baby. thanks for sharing with the team.

me2 said...

You would have to give an amazing gift to compete with the gift tags! I love the colors and your "ghost" effect!

Kathryn Costa said...

What interesting colors - so vibrant and so fun! What cool tags you have here.

Anonymous said...

Oooooh! That's the first I have seen gray gesso. It did look cool with the colors you used. Great!

Anonymous said...

These are terrific. I love the richness and depth of texture you achieved. The feeling to me is a city emerging from fog. Very cool!

TBM said...

Those look awesome--such yummy colours!

Lorraine said...

love all the tags and the ghostly images on them..will have to have another go I think