The red hibiscus took me by surprise today. Our peach and orange bloomed weeks ago, and are still blooming, but the red looked like a lost cause. And now... boom!Note: I want to thank everyone who gave me their feedback on my Snow Queen project. It really helped me to pin down what I wanted to do to finish it, and your comments were encouraging!
Today, after a trip to shop for a new oven, and finding that such a purchase is right up there with a down-payment on a new car, I went to get a pie. I was in the mood for a razzleberry pie (raspberries and blackberries). Got the pie home...
...cherry.
I like cherry pie when I'm up for cherry pie. When I'm up for berry pie, cherry is a different pie.
I decided that purchasing was not in my cards today. So I started in on my worktable, setting it up for some projects. And, as mentioned in my Dia de los Muertos post, I am missing my mom's last photo portrait. But I wanted to work with it, so I went searching again.
In the course of the search, I found the box that holds my button collection. Twenty years or so ago, I used to wear buttons. Mostly during work, but sometimes in my travels as a mere mortal. And it was so funny, interesting, surprising, what buttons I found in there which I'd forgotten all about! I just kept sorting through those buttons, quite often remembering where I gotten them, or where I wore them, or whether I got others just like them to give as gifts. And a small number of them I don't remember having had at all.
Do you ever go through your keepsakes or your closets or your cupboards and find something that makes you feel like you've found a long-lost friend? I feel like I stumbled upon the me I used to be, or the me I wanted to be, or the me imposed upon me. But it's all me. Mostly, a younger me.
It occurred to me to share these here. I don't even know if such buttons still exist, but mine fill a Ralph Lauren Safari perfume set box 10 by 6. If there are any you have also, or that you find particularly interesting, please give it a mention. A lot of them are also a reflection of the time.





One day I'll find my mom's portrait. Until then, I'll just paint a little more.
9 comments:
Awww, message buttons! They bring back memories of the 80s, when we all wore them on our pink tops over our black jeans. I hung on to following: "Like, Totally," "I Heart Naked Men," and "Proudly Serving My Corporate Masters."
What would buttons say if we wore them now? Probably "YOU KIDS, GET OFF MY LAWN." Or "I Heart Lipitor."
oh crap. i hate getting home and finding i have the wrong damed pie. cherry is my favorite. put on the coffee i'm coming over. wait. did you clean out the oven yet? i can't eat cherry pie if there is burnt pumpkin wafting through the air.
What a find! I am looking forward to the day when I can dig through my stuff in storage back in Texas. I haven't seen that stuff in almost two years and really, some of it has been packed away longer than that.
I think you should make a piece of art with all your buttons. Wouldn't that be fun?
PS Love your new banner. Very moody.
PPS Hope you find your mom's portrait soon!!
Hibiscus!! Oh how lovely...and yes, I dig through my stashes and re-discover people, places and times. I do have some buttons from high school, funny.
Cherry is my favorite too. Do you have any vanilla ice cream?
I love your button collection. I may have had some, but I didn't save them. The thing I came across in my extensive stash of stuff recently was an almost filled Girl Scout banner. Now, that's cool stuff, and almost like buttons.
hi chris,
yeah, i have looked through old photos and felt like i've found a long lost friend, or another part of myself... i sit there and stare at the pic as if it will reveal further mysteries of the universe as well. : )
these badges remind me of ones I used to wear all the time on my school bags such as save the whale, ban the bomb, various animal freedom greenpeace ones..those were the day with the names of all my fav bands written on the bag..thin lizzy, rush, hawkwind!! Happy Thanksgiving and hope it snows for you
You have quite a collection! I don't think I've kept more than one or two - most of them have been lost during various moves over the years.
As for pies, I'm baking sweet potato pie and chocolate bourbon pecan pie for Thanksgiving. I miss pies - they hardly exist in France. I especially miss the ones my grandmothers used to make - blackberry, pecan, cherry, blueberry.
Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours!
P.S. Lovely red hibiscus!
Post a Comment