January 13, 2009

Aggressive Creativity

As I mentioned, I've changed from loose-background journaling to a bound book. (However, I've started journaling on one of the backgrounds I showed in my last post, so, go figure.) Here's a photo of the book we were going to send to the thrift store, but which I bonded with immediately.





I didn't even know it was in the house! Can you believe this good fortune? Now I get to gesso it and glue on it and cover it with colors.


No! Don't try to make me feel like a plunderer! I love this book from 1972. It's even more meaningful, in that 1972 was the year we left Kansas City, Missouri, for Santa Monica, California. Now, who wouldn't be touched by such kismet?




So don't think I'm going to mistreat this little book on backyard birding. I have nothing but the utmost respect for it.





I wonder if I should rip out all the pages at once, or just tear as I go?


Here, for those who aren't sick to death of them, are another bundle of bookmarks I made. I loved making Ed's bookmarks so much that I couldn't stop. I went mad with power.




Then, I made other people mad, so I stopped. But those malcontents won't stop me for long. I'm actually toying with the brilliant idea of tagging with these puppies. There's no reason in the world why I can't take the bookmarks I'm going to make, and contribute to the guerilla street art challenge.


This is guerilla collage, people!

And, as promised, and you know I only make promises I can or cannot keep, here are a couple of photos of the finished chocolate whiskey cake I began making last night. The first one is the unadorned cake, turned out from the fabulous Nordicware Bundt pan, resting on waxed-paper plate-guards a la Martha Stewart, awaiting the powdered sugar dusting.




And here's the finished item.




Whew! So, eat your hearts out, Gail Gand, and Jacques Torres, and Candace Nelson, and Duff Goldman, and all you people who are also fully capable of using a recipe, a fail-proof pan, and an oven.


Now that I think about it, I believe our dog HAS learned to lift glass cake covers and cut neat slices of cake for herself while we aren't home...


Well, thank heavens I took these photos.



Next up: We learn that whiskey is the one ingredient standing between Scout, precious angel, and Scout: Marauding Chiweiner of Destruction.





note: dogs should not eat chocolate. please keep your dog away from chocolate, artificial sweeteners in anything (including gum), avocadoes, raisins and other dried fruits, and my dog, who seems to believe that other dogs, like preying mantises, must be humped and then eaten.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

can we flambee it?

Anonymous K

does flambe have two e's?

Ces Adorio said...

What a lovely cake. I cannot bake cake and bread so I am in awe of people who can bake cakes. I can bake pies though. :)

Chris said...

Flambee has two e's unless it is followed up by body shots, in which case, one e always throws the other e's stuff out on the lawn.

Chris said...

Ces, Pies are better than ANYTHING!


well, except for one thing, which we don't discuss on this blog.

3rdEyeMuse said...

uh, tear as you go.

... and who could possibly tire of the bookmarks?!? do it! grrl would be thrilled, I'm sure. :) she and all the peeps that passed them flying in all their glory.

Leslie said...

Awesome job on the cake, Chris!

I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with the book (rip all the pages out now is what I say), and the guerilla art bookmarks. You could practice random acts of art at your local library. Why, finding one of those in a book I picked up would be just the right thing to make me take it home!

Don't feed your dog grapes either. Sharing a waiting room at U of P vet hospital one time with a lady whose dog was dying from consuming grapes. Who knew.

e.beck.artist said...

your posts just crack me up ...
my thoughts:
great title, aggressive creativity ...
rip as you go, that way you don't lose bits ....
my dog would seem entirely edible to your dog ...
i did not know avocados were bad for dogs ....

so... artsy wonderfulness and a public service announcement ... grand ...

Anonymous said...

Looks good, it all looks good. But only the cake looks tasty. Will you share recipes?

MBW (aka fake chefette)

TBM said...

Go, Chris, go! Rip, tear, shred! Hey, perhaps this is a job for Scout?

Your cake turned out beautifully! And now I am hungry. Must bake something.