January 9, 2009

Longish Post Without Photos

Here's an anecdote for Friday.

Last night, we went to our nephews' house and did a belated Christmas gift exchange. We had a wonderful time, and if I could get it out of the box, I'd show you what they gave us. Suffice to say, it is beauteous.

You may remember Logan, of altered-cigar-box fame. Last night he tried in vain to teach me how to tie a double figure-eight knot, while Trevor tried in vain to teach me how to read a trick deck of cards and pick the right card out every time. I tried in vain to stop making wry remarks about everything we were doing, which interrupted every lesson and drove their mom crazy.

Then we had homemade peanut-butter cookies with homemade ice cream.

None of which I photographed because I forgot to bring the camera. I've tried to learn from Paris Parfait and from Just A Plane Ride Away and from Daily-Focus and from Gryphons Feather and from Dispatch From L.A. to take my camera with me everywhere, but they teach me in vain. I am a problem child.

To the point. So, after having shared some arting with Logan and hoping to have fueled his curiosity about making something from almost nothing, I have to admit I still had a proprietary feeling about the enterprise. Which I realized when Logan stopped his knot-tieing lesson in mid-loop to say, "Oh. I made an art supply box."

Then, he continued the lesson.

I was aghast. My mouth was agape.

I said, "WHAT? You made an art supply box without me?!"

Because I always strive to be a role-model for maturity.

And Logan stopped, took a sigh, gave me a 'sheesh' roll-of-the-eye, and said, "I meeeaaan.... I got a BOX, and I put ART SUPPLIES in it!"

OH!

I said.

"Oh. Well.


"Good job!!"

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

bet there was some embarrassws silence after that exchange..

that was a "duh" moment.

Anonymous said...

Hmph, some Girl Scout you turned out to be, although you do still look mighty fine in that little uniform. Whatever happened to "Be Prepared"? At the very least, you oughta have a disposable camera in your car in case of fender-benders. Come on, they're like two for ten bucks at Costco! And then you'd have it as an emergency backup when you need a photo of yourself smeared with homemade ice cream and cookies. In your Girl Scout outfit. Yeah.

Chris said...

Thank you so much, Steve.

I haven't really been addressed this way for two or three years, since I went to counseling for 'an addiction to inappropriate behavior at the multiplex'.

You bring back poignant memories.


What I mean is: You Cad!

Margaret Ann said...

A great story....Love your new header photo...luscious lemons and beautiful "birds"...Nice! :)

Anonymous said...

Hey, just because I have a long waxed moustache whose ends I twirl while leering lasciviously at you, and maybe I do wear a black cape and top hat, and okay, so I got your mortgage in my pocket and I've offered you various piquant options to pay it off so you don't lose the farm and be thrown out into the bitter winter, that doesn't make me a cad, I'm just misunderstood. See? Tears! PAY NO ATTENTION TO THE LITTLE BOTTLE OF GLYCERINE. IT IS IRRELEVANT.

Lorraine said...

I agree with Steve you didnt want to be photographed with peanut butter all over your mouth after scoffing all the cookies. By the way I love that lemon tree on your header..how I wish I lived in a hot country!!

3rdEyeMuse said...

ps - I love you. :)

TBM said...

Chris, sometimes it's more fun to build up the images in the old imagination. You are a wonderful writer and don't need the crutch of the old camera!

That being said, I do so enjoy your photos :-)

And well done to you nephew on "making" an art supply box. I see we have a convert (insert evil laugh here).